Sunday, January 30, 2011

My Lupus is What?

Active. That was a difficult word to hear and even more difficult to accept since I have been fortunate enough to have little to no lupus activity for several years . I have been experiencing sjogren's syndrome symptoms and am taking prednisone again. Although I am taking a small dose I am having a difficult time with it this time. It makes me have terribly vivid dreams that keep me awake, oh did I mention awake... oh how it keeps me awake! I'm wondering how on earth I survived taking a much larger dose and for several years.

I refuse to let this slow me down, so I will continue with my spring half marathon training. This is the first time that I have started a training program while being on lupus medications that are not just for maintance. Today I finished my first week, with my long run being 3 miles. So far, so good.

I have received several email comments from people wondering if because they have been diagnosed with lupus, will they be forced to give up an active lefestyle. I always encourage others to keep moving, this time I'll be encouraging myself!

2 comments:

  1. Your blog is the 2nd one I have stumbled across today. I wasnt searching for a "lupus" blog.
    I have lupus, but mostly try and pretend I dont.

    I was diagnosed in 2001. I go to the gym 7 days a week. I am very active. but it hasnt always been this way. Life is funny sometimes. So I have to just roll with it while its a "good" time.

    Kittycat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there... before lupus, I was able to work out 4 to 5 days a week, but because of the way lupus developed in my body, now, I work out, or attempt to work out like I used to, and my joints are sore, my hands hurt like the dickens and I am fatigued beyond belief. I am incredibly discouraged by this. I miss, terribly miss the feeling of well being I had in those days after a hard 45 minute work out. I am 30 pounds lighter than I was in those days, but I WANT to be like you. I understand the physiology of what is going on...that my illness is fighting my ability for my body to recover from the exercise. I have asked trainers to help me develop a work out plan and also have they ever learned about lupus and how to help people get back in shape or how to help them get in better shape. To this day, I still have not found one that understands how to do so.

    I am SO, SO, SO glad you can still run... SO as long as you can RUN...I wish you the best. If you have any suggestions, feel free to contact me! I won't give up... at some point, I will try it again...

    ReplyDelete